Thursday, July 15, 2010

Things I've learned in Italy...

I'm sitting in my hotel room...eating breadsticks and drinking Pellegrino...with an awful tummyache...and I figured now is a good time to type out my list of things I've learned about Italy while I've been here. (I've been keeping a list in my notebook for fun...haha!)

  • It's completely normal for men to yell, "Ciao, bella!", "Buongiorno bellissima!", whistle, honk, stop and stare as you walk by, flick your ponytail, etc.
  • I've become completely accustomed to stoping and looking for danger when hearing a bicycle bell ring. One is coming up - and fast...so move your behind.
  • If you say 6 o'clock - you get a train ticket for 6am...so you better say 18:00. It's been a fast adjustment to learning military time.
  • Lunch is from 1-3pm (13:00 to 15:00) and Dinner is anytime after 8pm (20:00). However, they start selling wine at 6am and it's completely acceptable to drink and eat tapas at anytime of the day.
  • And as far as dinner goes - you sit, talk and drink for at least 3 hours. When you want the check, you have to go up to the counter because people think you're crazy for leaving already.
  • Breakfast is espresso standing up at the same bar you bought wine at last night.
  • I've realized I'm pretty good at getting around using an old-fashioned paper map! No Google Navigation needed for me here in Italy! :)
  • Public transportation is essential - and I'm pretty good at figuring it out when I need to.
  • Don't order anything that has "acciughe" in it. That's Italian for ANCHOVIES. Major food issues have come up from this mistake.
  • I can live without a cell phone for 3 weeks...but not without my computer.
  • Hygiene is different in Europe than the States. That's all I'm going to say.
  • I'm trying lots of new foods and eating lots of fruit...very different for me. :)
  • I look like the people here...haha! Everyone has dark features, I feel like I "belong". lol
  • Everyone who is anyone is at Market Days in the Piazzas on Wednesday mornings and back again for drinks, dancing and music through the streets of the town after 9pm.
  • Air conditioning is a luxury here - hard to find anywhere.
  • Gelato is the most amazing food ever invented. Lemon & Straciatella (chocolate chip) are my favorites.
  • Everything goes back to what is best for the COMMUNITY. Co-responsibility in all shapes, sizes and forms is key.
  • I've gained an obsession with Nutella.
  • "Bruto bescha!" - SO MANY MOSQUITOS that are killers! (Sorry Mom, I have no idea how to spell it in Italian!)
  • Reconfirmed my feeling that wine is delicious.
  • Women are dressed in heels and look like they came out of a Prada catalogue at all times of the day.
  • You can find pizza to eat on every single restaurant menu.
Enjoying my last few days here and soaking up everything! :) Have loved this experience...but I'm ready to come home after 3 weeks.

Ciao!
Carly

No comments:

Post a Comment