Thursday, July 15, 2010

Attempted to go to Church...

This morning I got up at 6am (after going to bed at midnight AND after being up for over 2 hours during the night with food poisoning...not fun.) to haul my behind to Mass because I've been talking about going the entire time I've been here. I walked the half hour to get to the central piazza - and what do you know, the doors are all locked. :/ So sad! The man at the front desk of our hotel said every morning they had 7:30am services - but I guess not...just looked it up and they only hold services Saturday and Sunday. Oh well...here is the website for the church.

Last week when Liz and I were exploring town after classes, the doors were open and I got to sneak a few peeks...
Outside of the Basilica de San Prospero - named for the patron saint of Reggio Emilia.

Looking down the main aisle towards the altar.

The beautiful altar and candles - everything is so big and gorgeous.

The beautiful painted ceilings

In every "nook" on the sides of the church (there were about 6 on each side) - there was a different devotional area, WITH a tomb of someone historical from the town as well.

So pretty :)

Oh well - maybe Saturday morning! I've been walking around Reggio Emilia since 6:30am...it's 8:15am here now and I just got to the Loris Malaguzzi International Center. Class doesn't start until 9am, so it's quiet in here for me to sit and relax. Hoping my stomach feels better soon - food poisoning is not fun to have during your last few days in Italy!

Today's class lineup deals with topics regarding community and participation in the schools, and then tonight they are bussing all of the participants over to dinner and dancing at "Orti Spallanzani Community Centre". Should be a great day!

Buongiorno dall' Italia!
Carly


No comments:

Post a Comment